Sunday, July 17, 2011
Douglas border, at the memorial cross in honor of Carlos (see directions below)
The Department of Homeland Security has callously demanded that the family of Carlos Lamadrid, the 19 year-old killed by a Border Patrol agent, remove the memorial cross and other items they placed in remembrance of him. They have given the family five days to remove the items, or they will be removed for them.
To date, Border Patrol has failed to provide answers to the family yet is attempting to erase history and remove any reminder of the human cost of their brutal policies.
Derechos Humanos calls on friends and allies to contact the office of Congressional Reps. Gabrielle Giffords and Raúl Grijalva and the U.S. Border Patrol to allow the family’s memorial to remain, and to continue to demand answers that have been denied both the family and our community in regards to the murder of Carlos Lamadrid.
Email Congressional Representative Gabrielle Giffords Here and/or call 520.881.3588
E-mail Congressional Representative Raúl Grijalva Here and/or call 520.622.6788
Timothy Sullivan, Patrol Agent in Charge, Douglas Station: email@example.com, 520.805.6972
Directions from Tucson/Phoenix
- Take I-10 East
- Take exit 303 to merge onto AZ-80 E/W 4th St/I-10 BUS E toward AZ-10/Benson/Douglas
- Continue to follow AZ-80 East
- At the traffic circle, take the 3rd exit and stay on AZ-80 East
- Turn right onto Pan American Avenue
- Turn left onto E 8th Street
- Turn right onto Cochise Avenue
- Follow Cochise Avenue until you get to the border wall, where the memorial cross is placed
Carpooling will leave the Derechos Humanos’ office in Tucson at 1pm (631 S.6th Avenue)
For more information, contact Derechos Humanos at 520.770.1373